There are many things to be aware of when you’re planning to extend your home or develop properties. An SAP calculation is one of the most important aspects of property development.

This guide will help you understand what it means and whether or not you need one. We will go into detail about SAP calculations and who requires them.

What are SAP calculations?

SAP stands for Standard Assessment Procedure. It refers to the process used to calculate and determine the energy performance of homes and buildings.

These are required by the government under Building Regulations. They are based upon drawings, plans, and specifications of a property. A score will be assigned to the building, with 100 being the most efficient.

These calculations can be used to determine how efficient development is in terms of energy efficiency before it is built. This will help ensure that all developments meet current energy and environmental standards.

What SAP software do I need to convert or extend my SAP?

While this is usually only required for new developments or builds, you might also need SAP calculations if you have an extension or conversion.


An SAP calculation report is required for an extension to your home. This will depend on how much glazing you have. The Building Regulations stipulate that SAP calculations must be done if new glazing covers more than 25% of the extension’s total floor area.

These days, homeowners prefer extensions that allow in lots of light and include elements like skylights and bifold doors in the plans. Extensions that exceed this amount will need to be calculated by SAP.


There are some differences in the rules for conversions. SAP calculations are required only if there is a material change of use or a change of energy status.

A material change in use is a property that has a different purpose than its original purpose, such as the conversion of a dwelling into several flats.

The term “change in energy status” refers to spaces or buildings that are no longer heated and will be heated in the future.

You will need SAP calculations to convert if either one or both of these events occur.

What’s the difference between an EPC and a SAP?

While both SAPs (Energy Performance Certificates) and (Small Business Assessment Certificates) calculate the energy efficiency and rating of buildings and properties, there are fundamental differences in how they work.

SAPs can only be used for new developments, properties, and extensions. These are calculated with special software and are based upon the measurements and plans provided by the architect.

EPCs can be used for buildings and homes that are already in existence. They consider the age and type of the property as well as the heating and water systems, insulation, lighting, and other features. These factors are analyzed and then entered into a calculation program that will use the information to give an accurate energy rating.

These tasks must be done by qualified professionals.

Who performs SAP calculations?

As soon as you begin the process, it is crucial that you have a SAP assessor on your team. You can make sure that all materials, plans, and designs are as efficient as possible and comply with the law.

Falcon Energy is an energy expert and can provide valuable advice and information about energy efficiency. This will ensure that your development runs as efficiently and as compliantly as possible.

It is more expensive to instruct someone later than necessary if they do not comply with regulations.